Thursday, December 16, 2010

Finals Week

I am under the strong belief that life comes in waves. Life will be packed with problems that hit one after another for a short time, followed by a mellow brake. In short, when it rains it pours. The month of December is a guaranteed month of continuous waves.
For many students, the epitome of college classes comes down to the last week, the final week. Certain classes have finals worth more than 40 percent of the class. Additionally, some schools, like BYU, require every teacher to give some sort of written final. For the 18-credit-hour student this does not bode well.
If the stress of finals is not pressing, then scheduling them in a busy month will. This year, finals are scheduled right before Christmas. Christmas shopping, plans, and vacations in return are postponed to the final week of Christmas (20-24). In essence, one should never anticipate a well-thought-out gift from a college student.
This year I chose to work the holiday month of December. By saying I "chose" to work, means that I have no money and I need to work. During finals week, I am scheduled 226 hours. Ouch! This will take away a lot of cramming time. I hope that the pursuit to get some money for Christmas gifts doesn't affect my grades.
Lastly, I decided to throw an 'Ugly Sweater Christmas Party' during finals week. Why? Mainly because it is before Christmas and the week afterward everyone will have already left for home. So unfortunately, this is the only week it will fit in.
To sum it up, I have to worry about the following things this month:
1) Finals and grades
2) Work (26 hours of fun)
3) Christmas shopping and gifts
4) Throwing an amazing Ugly Sweater Party

I think the whole college experience can be summed up in this week. This week determines whether one will sink or swim in college. I am a pretty good swimmer, so I plan on staying afloat.

No comments:

Post a Comment