Sunday, October 10, 2010

All the small things

I reached into my pocket and found 20 dollars. Wow, it was like finding money, literately. It was the highlight of my week. Certain people would say that is sad, but I believe that the small things make a day (or a week). Who can argue against that when a small plate of cookies is left on your table?
When one thinks about it, Christmas is based on that principle (that and the whole tradition/religion thing...). Children wake up and find presents under a tree upon a cold Christmas tree. It doesn't matter what present you get, some random person (Santa Clause) left a wrapped gift for you.
So based on that principle, I decided to make someone's day. I started thinking where can I make a difference. Then I noticed, anything related to hunger and food, is a good choice. The next question was where would I find hungry people on a college campus...it would be near impossible. Then while walking in a hall, I noticed a line to a vending machine. That's it, the gold mine; the last resort to quiet a loud obnoxious stomach. So, later that day when there was no one around, I bought three items (a candy bar, some chips, and a cookie) and never reached in to get them. I left with the knowledge that some lucky hungry person would walk sullenly up to the vending machine, counting the change in their hands, contemplating what item would best stop the hunger. I don't know who was the eventual person to get the gift, but I hope it made their day.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I wonder if they turned them in to the lost and found. Good job!

    ReplyDelete